Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Should We All Bow Down to RIce Cakes ?

Well, we shouldn't. But I have to say that despite all the grumbling about food companies, their jumping on the bandwagon and offering all the cute little packages of of 100 calorie this that and the other thing have paid off. Women could kiss the ground they walk on for easing women's pain in regard to eating. Anyone who has taken marketing knows that if you ease consumer's pain it is your product or company that they will seek. Having the carbo content on everything under the sun is a huge benefit. Rice cakes do have a special place in a woman's heart.

Firstly, 1 cake has only 10 grams of carbohydrates. That is huge. When have you been told that you can have 2 of something and not break the bank it is fantastic. It is hard to splurge on anything when you are trying like mad to get that needle (yes the one on the dreaded scale) to move and hopefully down. I admit that my car looks like a food aisle in a supermarket. People are going to start standing by my car with a shopping cart. If that is what it takes, I am ok with that. Gone are the days when you go to the local coffee shop to get a cup of coffee and come out with a huge muffin, scone or worse yet a donut. If you have your trusty rice cakes flavored with chocolate, etc... in your handy bag of tricks you aren't going to succumb to having something that is going to make your lovely size 10 pants that you just bought feel tight. In fact you will drop your affection for muffins, scones and donuts like it is going out of style.

My friends say, but what do you do at parties ? How do you not eat ? My reply is well I just take a taste. I eat the things that my body can handle like protein in the cheese and fruit and that is what I eat. For a person that only like sweets, it is hard to believe my affection for cheese. It is the new dessert in my life. Cheese and fruit and yogurt are my new best friends. Carting strawberries and grapes to a party is a great tactic for those that don't want to indulge.

People say, but what about desserts ? My response is I just have a taste. To be honest, a piece of brownie or an oatmeal cookie tastes so sweet that I can't eat it. Have my taste buds changed- as Sarah Palin would say, "You Betcha"! When I was a kid living in New York my mother's friends used to always say when they were at my house, "I only want a "sliva" meaning sliver. I used to laugh but now I know that they were right. The "Only a Sliver Mentaltity" is spot on, as they say in Australia. The whole philosophy is don't let something in your life that is going to cause some kind of pain, whether it is food or an old boyfriend. If you succumbed and had a big piece of chocolate cake don't panic, just throw out the rest as you would an old boyfriend. You had a taste even if it was a big taste. Get back on track. Up the exercise and control the carbs more tightly and you will lose the extra 5 or 10 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment